Are your Pets Emergency Ready?
Make sure you make a pet emergency kit
This month is National Emergency Preparedness Month and we are following up today to give you pet and animal safety and planning advice for emergency situations. In an emergency situation you want to make sure your furry family member is included in your emergency planning.
- Make a Pet Emergency Plan:
- ID your pet. Make sure your pet’s tags are up-to-date and securely fastened to your pet's collar. If possible, attach the address and/or phone number of your evacuation site. If your pet gets lost, his tag is his ticket home. Also consider microchipping your pets.
- Make sure you have a current photo of your pet for identification purposes.
- Make a pet emergency kit. Download Preparing Makes Sense for Pet Owners for a full list of items to include in your pets kit.
Check out this quick list:
- Pet food
- Bottled water
- Veterinary records
- Cat litter/pan
- Manual can opener
- Food dishes
- First aid kit and other supplies
- Identify shelters. For public health reasons, many emergency shelters cannot accept pets. Find out which motels and hotels in the area you plan to evacuate to allow pets well in advance of needing them. There are also a number of guides that list hotels/motels that permit pets and could serve as a starting point. Include your local animal shelter's number in your list of emergency numbers.
- Make sure you have a secure pet carrier, leash or harness for your pet so that if he panics, he can't escape.
- Prepare Shelter For Your Pet:
- Call your local emergency management office, animal shelter or animal control office to get advice and information.
- If you are unable to return to your home right away, you may need to board your pet. Find out where pet boarding facilities are located. Be sure to research some outside your local area in case local facilities close.
- Most boarding kennels, veterinarians and animal shelters will need your pet's medical records to make sure all vaccinations are current. Include copies in your "pet survival" kit along with a photo of your pet.
- Some animal shelters will provide temporary foster care for owned pets in times of disaster but this should be considered only as a last resort.
- If you have no alternative but to leave your pet at home, there are some precautions you must take, but remember that leaving your pet at home alone can place your animal in great danger! Confine your pet to a safe area inside – NEVER leave your pet chained outside! Leave them loose inside your home with food and plenty of water. Remove the toilet tank lid, raise the seat and brace the bathroom door open so they can drink. Place a notice outside in a visible area, advising what pets are in your home and where they are located. Provide a phone number where you or a contact can be reached as well as the name and number of your vet.
- Protect Your Pet During A Disaster:
- Bring your pets inside immediately.
- Have newspapers on hand for sanitary purposes. Feed animals moist or canned food so they will need less water to drink.
- Animals have instincts about severe weather changes and will often isolate themselves if they are afraid. Bringing them inside early can stop them from running away. Never leave a pet outside or tied up during a storm.
- Separate dogs and cats. Even if your dogs and cats normally get along, the anxiety of an emergency situation can cause pets to act irrationally. Keep small pets away from cats and dogs.
- In an emergency, you may have to take your birds with you. Talk with your veterinarian or local pet store about special food dispensers that regulate the amount of food a bird is given. Make sure that the bird is caged and the cage is covered by a thin cloth or sheet to provide security and filtered light.
- If you evacuate your home, DO NOT LEAVE YOUR PETS BEHIND! Pets most likely cannot survive on their own and if by some remote chance they do, you may not be able to find them when you return.
- If you are going to a public shelter, it is important to understand that animals may not be allowed inside. Plan in advance for shelter alternatives that will work for both you and your pets; consider loved ones or friends outside of your immediate area who would be willing to host you and your pets in an emergency.
- Make a back-up emergency plan in case you can't care for your animals yourself. Develop a buddy system with neighbors, friends and relatives to make sure that someone is available to care for or evacuate your pets if you are unable to do so. Be prepared to improvise and use what you have on hand to make it on your own for at least three days, maybe longer.
- Caring For Your Pets After A Disaster:
- If you leave town after a disaster, take your pets with you. Pets are unlikely to survive on their own.
- In the first few days after the disaster, leash your pets when they go outside. Always maintain close contact. Familiar scents and landmarks may be altered and your pet may become confused and lost. Also, snakes and other dangerous animals may be brought into the area with flood areas. Downed power lines are a hazard.
- The behavior of your pets may change after an emergency. Normally quiet and friendly pets may become aggressive or defensive. Watch animals closely. Leash dogs and place them in a fenced yard with access to shelter and water.
- Tips for Large Animals:
If you have large animals such as horses, cattle, sheep, goats or pigs on your property, be sure to prepare before a disaster.
- Ensure all animals have some form of identification.
- Evacuate animals whenever possible. Map out primary and secondary routes in advance.
- Make available vehicles and trailers needed for transporting and supporting each type of animal. Also make available experienced handlers and drivers. Note: It is best to allow animals a chance to become accustomed to vehicular travel so they are less frightened and easier to move.
- Ensure destinations have food, water, veterinary care and handling equipment.
- If evacuation is not possible, animal owners must decide whether to move large animals to shelter or turn them outside.
Be sure to stay tuned for other Emergency Preparedness Tips and Activities. Also, be sure to check out our other blogs for useful information and services that SERVPRO of Tarrytown/Elmsford offers. If you have any questions or would like further information please call our office at 914-358-9000 or email us at SERVPRO9937@jdcrestoration.com.
Efficient Fire Damage Restoration for Tarrytown Property Owners
For soil and soot removal after a house fire in Tarrytown, call SERVPRO. We have skilled technicians and equipment for fire damage restoration.
Call SERVPRO’s Fire Damage Technicians for Results in Tarrytown
The work is not done once emergency services arrive at your property and extinguish the flames. House fire cleanup or commercial fire restoration calls for many working parts and experienced personnel to get results. SERVPRO offers fire mitigation and repair to help you return your property to pre-fire condition. Where DIY methods can take a lot more time and not generate the same results, professional practices show proven results and save you money. When it comes to content cleaning, moisture mitigation, charred debris removal, and reconstruction, nobody beats our proven processes here at SERVPRO.
Even the most minor fire brings on costly fire damage in Tarrytown. We understand the recovery process and the requirements to help your insurance claim go as smoothly as possible. We can ensure the budget and timeline are met. SERVPRO is a preferred vendor and well-known within the restoration industry, making it “Like it never even happened.”
We’re Faster to Any Size Disaster
But what does that mean? Once you contact SERVPRO’s customer care center, we begin mobilizing a crew of IICRC-certified fire and smoke restoration technicians (FSRT) for your project. After first responders deem your property safe to enter and the blaze gets extinguished, you can expect:
- Inspection and estimation – Our crew chief examines all areas of damage to your structure. This includes the cause of the blaze, any accelerants, materials burned, moisture present, and more. This gets done to help formulate the best course of action for drying, cleanup, and reconstruction.
- Safety and structural integrity – For our SERVPRO team to work, all possible hazards get addressed, including the strength and integrity of all building materials and structural components.
- Protection – The SERVPRO crew wears standard personal protective equipment (PPE) for all restoration projects. Our attire includes coveralls, rubber boots, gloves, goggles, eye protection, and respirators. We also have disposable foot coverings (booties) we wear to limit the tracking of soot and soils into unaffected areas of your Tarrytown home or business.
Can My Contents Get Restored with Fire Restoration Efforts?
Many people attempting house fire cleanup will mistakenly throw out items thinking they are unsalvageable. However, SERVPRO technicians have experience using various cleaning techniques to tackle even the most heavily soiled furnishings and contents. We make your personal belongings a priority with specialized methods that may include:
- Detailed drying approaches to handle moisture and chemicals used to douse the flames
- Soft material wash stations for thorough cleaning
- Hard contents get put into a submersion tank for immersion cleaning
- Ozone chambers help to deodorize items thoroughly
SERVPRO is Here for Local Businesses Requiring Fire Restoration
Whether you run a busy restaurant or you have a manufacturing plant that employs hundreds of area residents, we are here for all of your fire cleanup needs. SERVPRO’s scalability and access to hundreds of pieces of equipment in our warehouse mean that no job is too big for us to tackle. As large loss recovery providers, we are here to help fully restore:
- Bakeries, restaurants, bars/pubs, commercial kitchens
- Schools, daycare facilities
- Office buildings and retail spaces
- Hospitals, clinics, laboratories, assisted living and nursing home facilities
- Production, manufacturing, and industrial facilities
- Government buildings, financial institutions
Thorough Reconstruction Using Controlled Demolition
We handle charred debris and dispose of unsalvageable contents and materials following local guidelines. Building materials get replaced after structural elements get addressed by trusted area contractors and vendors. Everything gets a thorough cleaning, deodorizing, and finishing touches to bring your home or business back to pre-fire condition.
Request help online or call SERVPRO of Tarrytown/Elmsford at (914) 358-9000 whenever you require assistance with fire damage cleanup and restoration.
Rapid, Effective Water Damage Results in Tarrytown
SERVPRO provides 24-hour water damage restoration service to your home or business in Tarrytown.
Choose Water Damage Restoration with SERVPRO in Tarrytown
Once a destructive water event occurs in your home or commercial property, you need to act fast. Water travels quickly into dry spaces, saturating building materials and creating moisture pockets in hidden areas. Moisture migration stops when skilled water restoration technicians (WRT) are there to handle water removal services and drying. SERVPRO is available 24/7 to begin water mitigation and restoration efforts to bring your property back to pre-water event condition, “Like it never even happened.”
Locally Owned and Operated SERVPRO for Water Damage in Tarrytown
We care about area residents and business owners, so we bring care, experience, and precision to each water damage restoration project in Tarrytown. Early intervention is critical while following our restore versus replace motto, which helps prevent avoidable secondary damage and cuts the overall restoration cost.
Containment is Vital when Addressing Water Damage
Once we arrive and perform the initial assessment of the areas impacted, containment measures get put into place. We work with poly sheeting and other methods to create physical barriers while our technicians implement power-drying techniques around work zone perimeters. Everything gets done to cut back on moisture migration or track any soils present within the affected areas. Our basic drying principles include the following major elements:
- Proper airflow
- Optimum temperature
- Humidity reduction
How Do Water Removal Services Work?
SERVPRO focuses on handling the extraction of standing water almost immediately upon arrival. We have various strategies to address pooling and surface water within your structure using a combination of industrial-grade tools and equipment in our inventory. Some of the elements used include:
- Pumps – Including submersible, gas-powered, truck-mounted extractors, etc.
- Extractors – Including extensions and attachments to get into areas like carpeting, carpet padding, wood plank floors, etc.
- Vacuums – Lightweight, portable vacuum units are great for handling shallow pooling, multi-story structures, etc.
All Water Affected Areas Need Thorough Drying for the Best Results
There is no one way to handle drying in all water damage projects. Each property is unique, so our IICRC-certified technicians adapt as needed, adjusting the number of drying equipment units to achieve our goals. We handle all levels of drying to return your property to pre-water loss condition, including:
- Cavities and tight spaces – We must remain diligent in drying areas where water may have become trapped. This includes cavities behind walls, under stairwells, beneath cabinetry, and more. In some cases, we put boreholes (weep holes) into the walls and force air inside to speed up the drying process.
- Surface level drying – Whatever water is not pulled up by pumps, squeegees, and vacuums must be dried with equipment like industrial-grade box fans and centrifugal air movers.
- Building materials – Any building materials impacted by moisture must get dried, including drywall, carpeting, flooring, and structural wood.
What Equipment Does SERVPRO Have that I Don’t?
Many of the tools and equipment we stock our Green Fleet with are either unattainable or difficult to find in traditional stores. For example, dehumidification equipment is paramount with all water-related calls:
- These units are highly effective, even in colder conditions.
- The dehumidifiers pull moisture from the air with chemical attraction rather than condensation.
- We often utilize this humidifier style when pulling water from challenging materials, such as hardwood flooring.
- These units work to lower and maintain relative humidity (RH), condensing airborne water molecules into liquid.
- They feature a double cooling system that facilitates more moisture removal.
- The units are great in challenging spaces with higher amounts of moisture.
Whether a commercial or residential water damage incident, big or small, you can count on SERVPRO of Tarrytown/Elmsford to get results. Request help online or call us for 24/7 response at (914) 358-9000.
Don’t Let Mold Damage Fester in Your Tarrytown Property
SERVPRO understands and remediates the many species of mold causing damage to your Tarrytown home.
Expert Mold Damage Cleanup with SERVPRO in Tarrytown is Best
Whether you suspect mold growth or can see visible spots within your Tarrytown property, time is of the essence. Once mold starts to colonize, it can take hold of building materials and interior contents and begin impacting the pertinent structural elements of your building. SERVPRO is here for commercial and residential mold remediation services to help you bring your building back to pre-mold condition. Far superior to DIY cleanup, SERVPRO’s methods get fast, efficient results so that you can breathe easy in your home or business once again.
Why call SERVPRO to start in on mold damage fast in Tarrytown? As with any restoration, early mitigation and remediation generate the best results. SERVPRO starts right away with an initial assessment so that we can select the right tools and put containment measures in place. Some of the steps you will see us take include:
- Containment and moisture management
- Contents cleaning or relocation
- Surface cleaning and deodorizing
One of the critical puzzle pieces for SERVPRO technicians when beginning any mold cleanup project is determining how the mold occurred. Locating the source of the excess moisture, or root cause, of the problem, is paramount at the beginning of the project. Damp areas and excessive moisture make for ideal conditions that allow mold to colonize and thrive.
- The cause of water/moisture damage must get addressed right away; otherwise, mildew and black mold can just come back.
- Common reasons for mold development include hidden plumbing leaks, a leaking roof from storms, spills that were not adequately cleaned and dried, increased moisture due to lack of ventilation, HVAC system malfunctions, etc.
Will All the Mold Be Removed Once SERVPRO is Done?
There is no such thing as total mold removal, as microscopic mold spores are all around us at all times. Countless types of mold are present in the air, outside amidst the environment, on the clothing we wear and can come into the home on us or our pets. Any company or product claiming mold removal is false; however, SERVPRO works to thoroughly clean and disinfect all surfaces to bring mold levels back to minimal levels.
Know the Possible Hazards from Mold Infestation
You may think that spraying and wiping mold will be enough, but the problem might be deeper seated than you think. Some of the issues that come from mold development include:
- Further colonization – Once you suspect mold by smelling it or seeing visible patches, know it can multiply. If you do not address the moisture and colonies, mold reproduces and creates even more costly damage. It can also become dislodged and move into unaffected areas of your home or business.
- Daily life interruption – Nobody likes foul, musty odors, but a mold problem brings just that. Rather than living with mold and the potential harm it causes to your building, you can have skilled IICRC-Certified mold remediation technicians from SERVPRO go through and ensure all surfaces are carefully inspected and cleaned. Your interior will get the Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned seal of approval.
- Structural issues and loss of contents – A significant concern with mold damage is the impact on porous materials, including contents, building materials, and structural components. Failing to address mold growth adequately the first time leads to secondary damage and immense materials degradation.
Should mold damage repairs be required, SERVPRO removes unsalvageable materials so that trusted area vendors and contractors can replace them to make it “Like it never even happened.” All surfaces and spaces get treated with EPA-registered cleaning agents, antimicrobials, and deodorizing methods.
Contact us at SERVPRO of Tarrytown/Elmsford when you require help with commercial or residential mold damage. You can reach us by calling (914) 358-9000 or requesting help online.
Expert Fire Restoration in Tarrytown
SERVPRO provides expert fire damage restoration for Tarrytown residents. Call now!
SERVPRO Gets Rid of Smoke Odor and Damage
Most homeowners experience a property fire at some point during their lifetimes. While most of these incidents are controlled quickly, getting rid of the damages can often be a lengthy process without the right knowledge and equipment. SERVPRO is a registered restoration service that can restore your home quickly.
Enlisting help with fire restoration for your Tarrytown home is a smart move. Smoke damages can come in various forms and require specific actions or equipment to remove. Using the wrong actions on smoke residues can cause them to spread around, leading to further damage. Equally, the variance of materials in your home -metal, wood, and plastic- uniquely responds to cleaning products. Some materials may become damaged by chemicals, whereas others may react badly to agitative action. Our knowledgeable technicians have years of experience working with smoke damages and a solid understanding of the processes required to remove them from your home efficiently and without risking further harm. We can help you with:
- Fire debris removal
- Smoke damage
- Odor Control
Another common problem caused by a fire can be the odor. Odors are volatile particles that can penetrate surfaces or reside in small cracks and crevices of the home. Some of these odors may depart naturally or during the cleaning process. Unfortunately, many odors remain after cleaning away the visible signs of damage. Since odors can come from many places, the natural approach to odor control is applying multiple techniques. Our technicians can place odor counteractant beads in areas with pervasive odor. We can use masking agents to cover burnt odors that may emanate from soft furnishings until the odor particles disperse naturally. If there is a severe odor problem, our technicians can fumigate the property to get rid of the odor.
- Ultra Low-Volume (ULV) foggers are used to fumigate large spaces quickly to remove fire odors.
- Solvents that are vaporized in ULV foggers are known as chemical pairing agents. These particles bond with odor particles to neutralize bad smells.
- Deodorants released in the vapor can permeate throughout the property, including in light fittings, ducting, cracks, and other hard-to-reach spaces that may cause odor.
Respond to a property fire correctly. Contact SERVPRO of Tarrytown / Elmsford for fire restoration at (914) 358-9000 today.
Protecting Dobbs Ferry Homes from Flood Damage
Storm damage restoration for Dobbs Ferry homes need the help of SERVPRO. We are ready at a moment's notice.
SERVPRO Water Restoration Technicians Are Available
Violent storms are usually noticed ahead of time. Weather warnings on local radio, television, and websites can help homeowners prepare for an incoming natural disaster and secure their safety. However, it is much harder to protect your home from potential flooding and wind damage which are common in adverse weather conditions.
One method of preparing for flood damage to your Dobbs Ferry home is to ensure that your insurance is up-to-date and covers natural disasters. Another is finding a reliable restoration service with experience in emergency mitigation and natural disasters. SERVPRO has extensive experience helping local homeowners recover from the damaging effects of storms on personal property. We operate twenty-four hours a day so that you can arrange an emergency callout. Our technicians are trained to identify potential losses from natural events and reduce them by performing countersteps and procedures. We can help with:
- Ceiling leaks from storms
- Flood damage
- Water Removal
High winds can damage roofing materials and open entranceways for rainwaters to enter the property. One emergency mitigation procedure we perform is covering these entranceways with thick tarpaulin sheeting. Using a staple gun, we can affix sheeting as a temporary barrier to reduce potential water issues. If windows or doors are damaged during a storm, our team can board up these areas using sturdy plywood boards drilled into place. Boarding the property like this can protect interior rooms from wind or rain. It can also deter unlawful entry into the property. Properties that become flooded often have mains power shut off to prevent electrical malfunctions. Our team can bring in portable generators for power and mobile lighting equipment to allow work to continue even when mains power is shut off.
- Wearing correct personal protective equipment (PPE) such as thick gloves, steel cap boots, face protection, and eyewear is essential in flooded properties.
- Water brought into the property from outdoors is frequently contaminated and should be avoided.
- Slip and trip hazards and faulty electrical equipment can threaten your safety in a flood situation.
Contact SERVPRO of Tarrytown / Elmsford for emergency assistance for flood damage at (914) 358-9000.
Repairing Flood Damage for Tarrytown Properties
Tarrytown homes in need of flood damage restoration services should call SERVPRO. Our team has the equipment and experience for every phase of help.
SERVPRO Flood Damage Services Help Local Residents
Natural disasters can cause damage to your home. A violent storm produces strong winds, heavy rainfall, and, in some cases, flooding in the local area. Sometimes these conditions reach your property, causing harm. SERVPRO is a licensed restoration service to help return your home to its preloss state.
Tackling flood damage in Tarrytown requires organization, equipment, and training. A systematic approach can help ensure that your home suffers as little damage as possible. We do recommend that you contact a professional restoration service the moment your safety is secured. Our technicians are adept at emergency mitigation services designed to minimize losses to your belongings and the structure of your home. Examples of emergency mitigation include pumping and water extraction equipment, which rapidly reduce standing water levels and help prepare the site for fast-drying. By removing water quickly, our technicians reduce the likelihood of:
- Flood Damage
- Water Degradation
- Structural Damage from Storms
Emergency mitigation procedures form a basis for restoration. Once the property is in a safe state, our technicians can begin to reverse damages by performing deep cleaning, deodorizing, and repairs to structures or belongings. Floodwaters that enter a property are considered biohazardous. This categorization is due to debris, pathogens, and dirt in floodwaters. When dealing with biohazardous waste, following strict guidelines when performing restoration is essential to ensure that your property returns to a sanitary state. Contamination in water infects anything it comes into contact with, including gypsum board, flooring, textiles, and fixtures. If materials are dense, finished, or otherwise non-porous, there may be an opportunity to perform deep cleaning and disinfection to remove contaminants. Porous materials must be disposed of after coming into contact with floodwater.
- Solid woods used in the framing of your home, floorboards, and furniture may be repairable, providing technicians are brought in quickly to mitigate damages.
- Materials such as plaster and stud walls are usually cut away a few inches above the point of contact with floodwaters and replaced with new, matching materials.
- Ceilings, subfloors, and other cavities in the home often have to be thoroughly dried using applied structural drying equipment.
Floods can be unexpected and traumatic. Contact SERVPRO of Tarrytown / Elmsford for flood damage assistance at (914) 358-9000.
The Things Fire Restoration Helps Fix in Tarrytown Properties
Fire damage restoration for your Tarrytown home should be handled by SERVPRO. We are here 24/7 365 days a year.
SERVPRO Offers Handy Fire Damage Solutions in Tarrytown
Excessive heat and flames consume materials reducing them to ash and soot. Several other changes also develop within the property. Fire restoration removes the destroyed materials and repairs the salvageable ones for a Tarrytown property to regain its preloss state.
Executing fire restoration in Tarrytown homes is challenging because you might miss some damages or cause new problems. Prior knowledge of what the renovation process should fix can help prevent such negative outcomes. SERVPRO provides a highly experienced team that can address all fire-related issues.
Likely problems after a fire include:
- Melted, warped, or damaged pipes
- Damaged electrical system
- Compromised air ducts
- Warped trim and floor
Since most utilities, including electricity, water, and HVAC systems, are turned off during the fire, it is easy to miss or overlook the fire's effects on them. Such oversight can lead to severe future problems like leaks or electrical mishaps. Our SERVPRO technicians help strip off the electrical system, including cables, outlets, and lights. We also check whether water is flowing well through pipes. We can also use thermal cameras to check for hidden leaks in pipes enclosed in walls.
Restoring Pre-loss Conditions After Fire Damage
Some of the problems left by the fire may not be that severe, but they are inconveniencing. For instance, if you keep tripping over a raised part of the floor or if the doors or windows no longer fit in properly, you will not enjoy staying in your home as usual. Residue smells, and particulate matter also diminishes the indoor air quality making it uncomfortable to stay indoors. Our SERVPRO crews consider your general comfort when doing restoration, thus taking action to resolve situations that might inconvenience you. Our SERVPRO technicians perform controlled demolition to remove warped floorboards and door or window trim. We also take action to restore air quality by running air filtration devices on the property.
Essential filters in an air filtration device
- Pleated filters
- HEPA filters
- Activated charcoal filters
SERVPRO of Tarrytown / Elmsford is a reliable partner to call when you need fire damage restoration services. Call us at (914) 358-9000 for assistance. We're Faster To Any Size Disaster.
The Importance of Mold Inspection in Tarrytown Properties
SERVPRO's techs are highly trained to remediate mold damage. Call us at the first sign of an infestation.
SERVPRO Confirms Mold Damage Effects in Tarrytown Homes
Among the damages that can affect homes, mold stands out because of its unique characteristics. First, factors you may consider harmless such as moisture interacting with the numerous organic materials in the house, cause the contamination. It also tends to thrive in concealed areas. Mold inspection is a reliable way to identify the contamination source and spread patterns at your Tarrytown home.
Because of the clear signs contamination usually exhibits, the primary goal of mold inspection at your Tarrytown home should not be to identify whether there is mold. Even a casual observation can reveal discolored patches, flaking paint, and musty odors that indicate the likelihood of microbial growth. An inspection helps reveal the best course of action to contain growth and restore the affected materials.
Helpful actions against mold
Before taking any corrective action, understanding the contamination dynamics is essential. Since moisture is the main contributing factor, it is vital to establish possible moisture sources and whether they are active. Our SERVPRO technicians use advanced tools to inspect suspected areas to identify leak points and moisture spread patterns. Moisture meters and thermal cameras are convenient for this purpose.
Inspection Eases Mold Remediation
Mold readily develops in wall and ceiling cavities. Remediation in such cases requires demolition to remove the panels on the surface and filler materials such as insulation within the cavities. Demolishing and reconstructing entire rooms is costly and time-consuming. However, if such demolition is restricted only to affected areas, the inconveniences and costs are minimized. Our SERVPRO technicians can take the necessary actions to facilitate targeted remediation by identifying the affected areas and opening them up for cleaning. Drilling small exploratory holes is one non-invasive way to confirm where the colonies have spread.
Useful equipment for such remediation
- Drilling equipment
- Negative air pressure machines
SERVPRO of Tarrytown / Elmsford performs mold inspection and remediation for satisfactory outcomes. Call us at (914) 358-9000.
Unforeseen Issues Arising From Water Damage in Dobbs Ferry Homes
Water damage restoration for your Dobbs Ferry home needs the help of SERVPRO. We are ready at a moment's notice.
SERVPRO Streamlines Water Restoration in Dobbs Ferry
Once a pipe bursts or a dishwasher malfunctions, water readily flows, reaching unwanted areas where it soaks into materials, causing problems like staining and rusting. After your Dobbs Ferry home is affected, you might not realize the potential for the water damage metamorphosing into something else, creating problems that you might not anticipate.
When you seek help in addressing water damage at your Dobbs Ferry property, it would be advisable to involve a professional who can handle the evident and unexpected issues. The level of experience and how well equipped the restoration service is are some guiding principles to ensure you get adequate services. SERVPRO is locally owned and operated but with national resources, so we are capable of addressing all moisture issues.
Typical advanced problems include:
- Moisture transfer from condensation
- Contamination when water is from a clean source
- Severe deterioration like rot or delamination
It is common for water to spread once it leaks. For example, gravity forces it to flow towards the lowest points in the house. However, the damage can spread from lower areas like the floor to elevated ones like the ceiling. Wicking occurs as moisture migrates to dryness. Evaporation and condensation are most likely to cause this issue. If the restorer only uses fans to help quicken drying, the evaporated moisture might condense once it reaches cooler sections of the house. Our SERVPRO technicians ensure drying is balanced by setting up a dehumidifier to manage the humidity vaporized by air movers.
Clean Water Contaminates Property
The clean water you use to cook or clean can precipitate contamination once released into your house. When water stagnates or materials remain wet over time, microbial growth processes set in, leading to the proliferation of bacteria and fungus. One typical sign that contamination is developing -- bad odor or mold growth.
Actions that limit contamination
- Expediting extraction within the first 24 hours
- Thoroughly drying wet materials
- Applying biocides on surfaces
Expediting extraction has another advantage since it limits the time moisture interacts with materials. If left submerged, wood rots and composite materials disintegrate while carpets delaminate.
SERVPRO of Tarrytown / Elmsford takes care of all water damage in a home “Like it never even happened.” You can reach us at (914) 358-9000.